Pages

Wednesday 17 July 2013

Milestones and Milo Cupcakes

Six months ago when I started up this blog, it was mainly for my own enjoyment: a place to express myself, share my love of baking and track my progress. This last week, I reached 1 000 hits on my blog. Now I know for some bloggers this is a tiny number that they reach each morning by 9am, but for me it's an achievement and something I am very proud of. Thank you to you all for taking the time to read my posts, pin my pictures and enjoy my baking (hopefully) as much as I do.


I also took a few steps in the social media realm and created a Facebook page and Twitter account; you can now follow my baking adventures here, via subscription, on Facebook, on Pinterest, on Twitter, or on Instagram. I'm still working on figuring out how to get the links for those setup nicely on my page, but watch this space!

To mark this occasion I would like to share with you my new favourite cupcake: Milo cupcakes with condensed milk icing. OMG these things are amazing! I had to stop myself eating the batter just to make sure I got a few into the oven. And man am I glad I did. Fresh out of the oven they were even better! Once topped with condensed milk icing they were unbeatable!



I found these gems on an Aussie blog called Raspberri Cupcakes. It's the same blog that inspired the Chocolate Sprinkles Cake. If you're looking for some cupcakes to bake, then these should be at the top of your list! I did end up making double the quantity of icing, but again this could be due to the fact that I was eating out the bowl by the spoonful.


Milo Cupcakes
(makes about 16, depending on how much of the batter you eat first)
200g flour
200g castor sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g Milo
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g sour cream
170g unsalted butter (softened)
2 large eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 180⁰C and line a cupcake tray with liners
  2. Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and set aside.
  3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Beat in eggs one-at-a-time until just combined.
  5. Add sour cream, vanilla extract and Milo, beating until just combined.
  6. Add flour mixture and beat on low until combined.
  7. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for about 15-20 minutes (mine needed 20) or until a skewer comes out clean.
  8. Cool  in the tin for a few minutes and then on a wire rack.
Condensed Milk Icing

150g salted butter (softened)
300g icing sugar (sifted)
5 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
  1. Beat butter until light and fluffy.
  2. Add icing sugar and beat until well combined.
  3. Beat in sweetened condensed milk.
  4. Ice cupcakes and sprinkle with a liberal helping of Milo.
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @LiveDreamBake and on the Live.Dream.Bake Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...