Pages

Monday 23 December 2013

{Getting in the Christmas Mood} Eggnog

I've been somewhat MIA for the last few months. Aside from things just being crazy busy in general, I've also been working on a really exciting project that I will be sharing with you all in January. Keep your eyes peeled for more developments!

Due to the general craziness and of course the very sad passing of a man who has been monumental in recent South African history, the Christmas spirit has somewhat eluded me this year. With only a few short days left to go until the big day, however, I am determined to rectify this! I even went today and stocked up on tinsel, candy canes and all sorts of Christmassy items.


Starting now, with eggnog. Eggnog isn't as much of a thing in South Africa as it is in the States: we don't get eggnog in the stores and most of the people I've spoken to have never tried it. For years I've been curious about this drink that seems to be the centrepiece of the American Christmas festivities. Michelle of Brown Eyed Baker recently posted a recipe for old-fashioned eggnog and it's been on my mind ever since then. Subsequently a number of other recipes have been popping up. So now I HAVE to try it. This is the year.




I took a look at a few of the recipes and some called for an inordinately large number of eggs or seemed rather complicated to make. Now I'm all for complicated, just take a look at this Snicker's Birthday Cake or Palet D'Or, but I didn't want to invest too much into this drink I don't really know much about! So in the end I decided to stick with the first recipe I had come across from Brown Eyed Baker.


I actually quite enjoyed the eggnog; it reminded me a bit of Amarula, but with more of a kick. I was worried it would taste very eggy and I HATE the taste of egg: eggs are only good for cakes and biscuits in my world! I would also hazard a guess at this homemade version tasting better than the store-bought one. I added a few ice blocks to mine and am enjoying a sip as I finish off this post :)

Old-Fashioned Eggnog
(From Brown Eyed Baker)
Makes approximately 6 servings

3 1/2 cups cream
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 cup whiskey
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp nutmeg

  1. Heat 2 1/2 cups of cream over a medium-low heat until it begins to simmer. Do not let it boil.
  2. In the meantime whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt.  
  3. Take one ladle of the warm cream and add it to the egg mixture, whisking continuously.
  4. Add the egg mixture to the saucepan and return to the heat.
  5. Cook, stirring continuously until the mixture coats the back of the spatula.
  6. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and leave to cool for about 15 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally.
  7. Whisk in the rum, whiskey, vanilla and nutmeg.
  8. Whip the remaining cream until soft peaks form.
  9. Fold the cream into eggnog mixture until fully incorporated.
  10. Serve immediately. (I preferred mine with a few blocks of ice)
*The eggnog can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Whisk briefly before use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...