Pages

Monday 20 January 2014

{A New Favourite} Lemon Curd

I was introduced to lemon curd on a recent trip to Hillsnek safaris (read more about that here!) . I never thought my favourite tastes would venture far from chocolate. I strongly believe that fruit salad is not a dessert, it's a breakfast! So I never thought a fruity dessert would leave such a mark on my tastebuds. But helloooo lemon curd!




I found this recipe on Sweetapolita and I will definitely be using it as my go-to lemon curd in future. Rosie also suggests trying this recipe with other citrus, like lime, oranges and grapefruit. I think next up on my list will be a lime curd. Oh, did I mention how easy this is to make?


I used this recipe as a filling for this Angel Food Cake, but you can use it for cupcakes, put some on toast, or just eat it out of the jar (definitely not something I've been doing...).

Lemon Curd
5 lemons
2 eggs
4 egg yolks
200g sugar
60 unsalted butter (cut into cubes)

  1. Was the lemons well and grate the zest off the lemons. Make sure you don't get the pith (white stuff), it's very bitter. You're looking to get about 2tsp of zest.
  2. Juice the lemons until you have 160ml of lemon juice.
  3. Place a heat-proof bowl on top of a pot filled with about 2cm of simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
  4. With the bowl off the heat, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and juice until smooth. 
  5. Add the butter (don't mix) and place the bowl on the pot you have prepared.
  6. Stir constantly until the butter has melted and the mixture has thickened. This will take about 10 minutes and the mixture will be ready when it coats the back of the spatula.
  7. Strain the curd through a fine mesh sieve and cover with plastic wrap. Press the plastic wrap against the surface of the curd so that a skin does not form.
  8. Chill for at least three hours, but preferably longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...